In this podcast, Dealing with Grief Diana Bonnici discusses the grief process with Mark Silverman on his Mastering Midlife podcast.
We all experience grief on many levels
Grief is experienced with any loss to different degrees, it may be not passing an exam, letting go of old stories, getting sick, losing a job, friends die, divorce, the loss of safety, the war that threatens so many lives, and the atrocity we witness.
Does grief follow a pattern
Grief usually follows a pattern of Loss, Shock, Protest, Disorganization,
and Reorganization to Recovery. We may never “get over” grief. The intensity tends to diminish but then can spike again. It is not a circle but more of a spiral that we move from one area to another and then back again.
Does grief have a process
Once we understand the process we do not feel so “crazy”
And can make different choices with this understanding.
- Acknowledge your pain. Just be with it or distract yourself if that is what you need…In the beginning, you may feel numb or nothing or all sorts of emotions.
- Accept that grief can trigger many different and unexpected emotions and grief can be triggered by a smell, thought, action…Crying out of the blue…Spacing out.
- Understand that your grieving process will be unique to you.
- Seek out face-to-face support from people who care about you. Just being with someone or cuddling without words….
- Support yourself emotionally by taking care of yourself physically. Drink lots of water. Gentle exercise. Eat healthy. (although chocolate does taste good.. just not too much)
- Be gentle…walks, rest, journal, be quiet, scream, the mind can feel foggy.. almost unreal.
- Do what feels right for you.. This is your process. Have compassion for yourself and others…
- As we share we encourage each other to live our Divine Wisdom and Innate Value.
Love & Blessings Diana Bonnici
Multi Dimensional Light Bearer
Energy Medicine Institute